Taliban launches Huge Afghan Offensive After Deadline For U.S. Pullout

Taliban launches huge Afghan offensive after deadline for U.S. pullout
Handover ceremony at Camp Anthonic, from U.S. Army to Afghan Defense Forces in Helmand province, Afg...

Afghan security forces have repulsed a massive Taliban offensive in southern Helmand province in the past 24 hours, officials and residents said on Tuesday, as militants launched attacks across the country after the underground deadline to withdraw troops.

With the May 1 withdrawal deadline agreed in talks with the Taliban last year, their withdrawal has begun, and President Joe Biden announced that all troops would withdraw on September 11. “There was a storm of heavy guns and explosions in the city, and the sound of small arms was like someone making popcorn,” Mullah Jan, a resident of a suburb of the provincial capital Lashkar Gah, told Reuters.

More:

Members of my family went to the corner of the room and listened to the loud explosions and gunfire as if it was happening behind our walls, “he said. The families who could afford to leave had fled, but he hadn’t made it. Waiting with his family was dreadful before the Taliban were pushed back.

Attaullah Afghan, head of Helmand’s Provincial Council, said the Taliban launched their massive multi-directional offensive on Monday, attacking checkpoints on the outskirts of Lashkar Gah in the process of some Afghan security forces launched airstrikes and deployed elite commandos in the region.

The insurgents had been driven back, but the fighting continued Tuesday, and hundreds of families had been displaced, he added. As part of the withdrawal, the US forces handed over a base in Helmand to Afghan troops two days ago. The Afghan Ministry of Defense said that in addition to Helmand, security forces responded to the attacks by the Taliban in at least six other provinces, including southeast Ghazni and southern Kandahar, in the past 24 hours.

The Defense Ministry said just over 100 Taliban fighters had been killed in Helmand. The Taliban did not immediately respond to a request for comment. The deadline for the withdrawal of US troops on May 1 was agreed to last year under former President Donald Trump. The Taliban rejected Biden’s announcement that the troops would remain at the post but would withdraw for the next four and a half months.

Have a tip we should know? tips@rhd.news

Most Read

  1. Health
    US Supreme Court Rejects J & J TALC Cancer Case Appeal
    4 months ago
  2. Lifestyle
    9 Habits that Drain your Daily Focus and How to Avoid Them
    4 months ago
  3. BUSINESS
    Women’s Demand for Shapewear – the big Trends
    5 months ago
  4. BUSINESS
    Valentino Launches its Cosmetics Line
    5 months ago
  5. Business
    McDonald’s Sales Increase Amid COVID Restrictions
    5 months ago
  6. Health
    US Promises to Share 60 million Doses of AstraZeneca Vaccines
    5 months ago
  7. coronavirus
    UK Offers Aid Amid Surging COVID-19 Cases in India
    5 months ago
  8. Entertainment
    Nomadland Director Chloé Zhao, Wins the Best Director in 2021 Oscar
    5 months ago
  9. Americas
    Biden expands US investment ban on Chinese firms
    3 months ago
  10. WORLD
    France, Tunisia to strengthen cooperation on migration
    3 months ago
  11. WORLD
    Spain to reopen embassy in Libya throws support to the political process
    3 months ago
  12. Health
    Africa faces ‘rising threat’ of a coronavirus third wave: WHO
    3 months ago
  13. Enviroment
    Biden Suspends Drilling Leases in Alaska’s Arctic National Wildlife Refuge
    3 months ago
  14. Americas
    JBS: Cyber-attack hits world’s largest meat supplier
    3 months ago
  15. BUSINESS
    Wetherspoons boss denies facing a shortage of EU workers
    3 months ago

Follow @rushhourdaily: