Wimbledon 2020 tennis championships canceled due to coronavirus

The 134th Championship, that was scheduled to be held from June 29 to July 12, will now be held in the same months in 2021.

Wimbledon 2020 cancelled over fesrs of coronavirus
Image Source: https://flic.kr/p/2iL4RAF

The 2020 Championships at Wimbledon have now been canceled due to the coronavirus pandemic, which is disrupting many activities globally, including sports.

 

The Grand Slam tennis tournament was scheduled to be held from Monday, June 29 to Sunday, July 12. This will be the 134th tournament. However, it will now be held in 2021, from June 28 to July 11.

The chairman of the Main Board of the All England Lawn Tennis Club, Ian Hewitt, made a statement.

He said, “this is a decision that we have not taken lightly, and we have done so with the highest regard for public health and the wellbeing of all those who come together to make Wimbledon happen.”

In addition, Ian wrote that only the World War previously interrupted the Championships.

More:

However, after extensive consideration of all scenarios, they ( Wimbledon organizers) believed that the coronavirus is a measure of global crisis. And canceling this year’s tournament is the right decision.

He then added that they would concentrate on using the breadth of Wimbledon’s resources to help those in the local communities and beyond.

 

Wimbledon to Refund Tickets Buyers

 

According to Wimbledon’s website, everyone that paid for tickets in the Wimbledon Public Ballot will get their money back. However, they have a chance to buy the Championships ticket in 2021.

Meanwhile, officials also postponed the French Open, which is the second Grand Slam of four in a season.

Ideally, it should start on May 24, but it was postponed in March until September 20.

Moreover, a release came that some tennis stadiums will now function as makeshift hospitals. This includes the stadiums, the host U.S. Open, and the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center in Queens. The Elmhurst Hospital will provide 350 beds for non-ICU patients.

Furthermore, the center’s chief operating officer, Daniel Zausner, also made a statement. He said, “we will continue to play every single day as if the U.S. Open will hold, and hopefully we’ll be in a position five months from today to see players actually practicing on the court’s right behind us and playing at Arthur Ashe Stadium.”

 

 

Meanwhile, the USTA tweeted that they understand the unique situation of all England Lawn and Tennis Club and the reasoning for the decision to cancel the 2020 Wimbledon Championships.

 

Have a tip we should know? tips@rhd.news

Most Read

  1. Health
    US Supreme Court Rejects J & J TALC Cancer Case Appeal
    2 months ago
  2. Lifestyle
    9 Habits that Drain your Daily Focus and How to Avoid Them
    2 months ago
  3. BUSINESS
    Women’s Demand for Shapewear – the big Trends
    3 months ago
  4. BUSINESS
    Valentino Launches its Cosmetics Line
    3 months ago
  5. Business
    McDonald’s Sales Increase Amid COVID Restrictions
    3 months ago
  6. Health
    US Promises to Share 60 million Doses of AstraZeneca Vaccines
    3 months ago
  7. coronavirus
    UK Offers Aid Amid Surging COVID-19 Cases in India
    3 months ago
  8. Entertainment
    Nomadland Director Chloé Zhao, Wins the Best Director in 2021 Oscar
    3 months ago
  9. Americas
    Biden expands US investment ban on Chinese firms
    2 months ago
  10. WORLD
    France, Tunisia to strengthen cooperation on migration
    2 months ago
  11. WORLD
    Spain to reopen embassy in Libya throws support to the political process
    2 months ago
  12. Health
    Africa faces ‘rising threat’ of a coronavirus third wave: WHO
    2 months ago
  13. Enviroment
    Biden Suspends Drilling Leases in Alaska’s Arctic National Wildlife Refuge
    2 months ago
  14. Americas
    JBS: Cyber-attack hits world’s largest meat supplier
    2 months ago
  15. BUSINESS
    Wetherspoons boss denies facing a shortage of EU workers
    2 months ago

Follow @rushhourdaily: