Nina Pham, 26, received a blood transfusion from an Ebola survivor this week. Dr. Kent Bradley, was working for Samaritans Purse in Liberia when he contracted the virus. The Critical Care nurse had been assisting Thomas Eric Duncan, when she came into contact with the virus.
Pham, who is currently in “clinically stable,” condition (diagnosed on Oct. 11th) was taking precautionary steps when working with Thomas Duncan, wearing protective gear like, gloves, masks and gowns.
“Something went wrong, and we need to find out why and what,” said Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases.
CDC’s Director Tom Friedman states, that state and federal officials are considering changing certain protocols. Examining, a closer way to disinfect, “spraying virus-killing solution’s on workers as they leave an isolations unit.”
Freidman, also states that fluids may have been transmitted when Duncan, received dialysis and respiratory intubation, in a last attempt to try and save his life. He points out that over-protection can actually increase chances of infection. The CDC recommends that care takers ‘double up’ gloves but warms against ‘tripling-up.” Adding an extra risk of touching soiled gloves.
According to CNN, “When you have potentially soiled or contaminated gloves or masks or other things, to remove those without any risk of any contaminated material touching you and being then on your clothes or face or skin is not easy to do right.”
The CDC is attempting to identify all the health care workers who had contact with Duncan, between Sept. 28th and Oct. 8th. Pham’s apartment has been decontaminated and the local police have notified her neighbors through a “reverse 911 call.”
Photo Via ABC News
Have a tip we should know? firstname.lastname@example.org